Tuesday, December 11, 2012

12 Days of Yule, Day 2

Follow along with my 12 Days of Yule Blog prompts here;
http://journalyourselfawake.blogspot.com/2012/12/12-days-of-yule-day-2.html

Tuesday, Dec. 11, Day 2

Day 2; A Sunrise Prayer;

"
The sun returns! The light returns!
The earth begins to warm once more!
The time of darkness has passed,
and a path of light begins the new day.
Welcome, welcome, the heat of the sun,
blessing us all with its rays."


By Patti Wigington
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What does the Sun mean to me and what is my relationship with it in the Winter?  Here in the Arizona Desert, during the summer the sun is harsh.  With temperatures easily reaching well over 110 degrees, there are dangers in the summer.  Sun burn, heat stroke, heat exhaustion, dehydration, etc.  The summer is the time we spend "hiding" from the sun, staying indoors where there is air- conditioning and protection from the sun.  In the winter months, there is a chill in the air and the sky can often be overcast.  But when the sun shines, or when the skies are clear, you can stand in the sunlight and almost immediately feel it's warmth. 
Today's blog prompt asked me to consider how I am spending time in the sunlight when I can.  Ironically, just yesterday my husband started work again.  Since we only have one car, this means that I am walking to work again.  So now I will have a little time outdoors each morning, collecting some sunlight!  I am happy for this!  First of all, happy that my husband is working again!  But I am also grateful for my opportunity to spend some time each day walking, it is a time of solitude that I really enjoy.  Even in the middle of the city, surrounded by houses, streets with cars rushing by, dogs barking at me... it is time for just me and my thoughts with no one else demanding my attention. 
Here in the desert, although the solstice represents the returning of the sun, and the days growing longer, it's really just the beginning of our "winter" season.  It doesn't really get cold here until January, which is also when we can expect more rain and winter weather.  But as far as what the sun represents on a spiritual level, I like to think of the Solstice as a perfect opportunity for rebirth on an inner level. 
The  third chakra, Manipura, is also known as the Solar Plexus and it is bright yellow in color.  It's great to visualize this chakra as a bright little sun, glowing right in the center of your body, just behind your belly button.  The Solar Plexus is the source of our energy, willpower, and drive.  As we welcome back the Sun this Winter Solstice, I think it's great to think not only of the rebirth of the Sun as the days lengthen, but the rebirth of our own innermost energy.  I will think of my walks to work as a time of "recharging by Solar Batteries", soak up the warmth when I can, and visualize it becoming energy that empowers my Solar Plexus chakra!  I also think I will add the "Salute To The Sun" Yoga sequence to my morning routine for the rest of the Yule season, to empower my body and help connect my mind, spirit, and body with the re-awakening of Solar energy!
Salute To The Sun
 

No comments:

Post a Comment