Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Poop.



Yes. Poop has been the recurring theme of my day. As a mom, I'm sure you've had one of these days too. As I wash my hands, again, I am asking myself, "Why?" What have I done to incur the wrath of the Sewage Monster?

First thing, to start my day, I woke up knowing that the time had come for decisive action. My 4 year old son, who had not pooped in 3 or 4 days, woke up with his stomach hurting. The extra water and fiber I had been giving him for the past 2 days had not yet yielded any results, and I knew it was time to pull out the heavy artillery. Fleet's Pedia-Lax mini Liquid Glycerin Suppositories. I've had this box of child's size mini enema things in the back of the bathroom cabinet, hoping I would never have to use it..... Well, I'll spare you the details but within 10 minutes my son was feeling much better, though quite shaken and a little sore.

Having dealt with this mini emergency first thing in the morning, before my coffee was not the greatest way to start my day, but I pushed through, emerging with a smile to help my older children get ready for school. This included curling their hair with the curling iron because it was picture day. Hurrying around the house trying to find backpacks and jackets in order to make it to the bus stop on time, a horrible smell reached my nostrils....

I quickly found the source of the smell, in the middle of the hallway. Dog Poop. Not only dog poop, but Stepped In dog poop. Tracked from the hallway, to the kitchen, through the Dining Room, and onto the Living Room carpet. There in the living room stands my six year old daughter, oblivious, and the dog, looking guilty. Okay.... I can handle this. Deep Breath. Ooops, don't take a deep breath, it stinks in here. Hold your breath. Wipe the poo off my daughter's shoes with a paper towel, then pick up most of what I n from the floor. The rest will have to wait because we're going to miss the bus if we don't go Now.

Okay. A walk was nice. Back home, I mop the floor. Muttering to myself because I just mopped this floor yesterday. Of course.

My son is hungry today. Guess that he must be feeling better. Later, a friend shows up and we decide to go to the Mall. Just walk around and get some lunch. It was nice to get out of the house, have some adult company for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I had a good day, but while we were at the mall I began to notice the recurring theme. On our way into the store, a dirty diaper laying on the curb and I almost walked into it. Nice. In the mall, my son suddenly starts having stomach cramps and we have to run to the back of a department store so he can use the bathroom there... not a fun experience for either of us.

At home, much later in the day, I walk outside to see what the kids are doing in the back yard, and you guessed it... I stepped in dog poop. *SIGH* Well, at least it wasn't in the house, and out here I can use the grass to wipe my feet and not track it through the house. At least it was me and not one of the kids who would have tracked it through the house... I think I would have had a melt down.

Then, just a few minutes ago, my son screams, "I HAVE TO POOP!" But my husband is in the bathroom. I try to urge my son to use the other bathroom, but he refuses... he wants his Spongebob toilet seat and his step stool, remembering the horror of the bathroom at the mall where he had to use the "big" potty. Of course, he didn't make it. So here I am again, helping him change out of his underwear and using half a roll of toilet paper to clean him up, asking myself, "WHY?"

But you know, sometimes being a mom is all about Poop. Makes us appreciate the times when it is about bruises, or snacks, or cartoons, or kisses. It made me thankful that none of my kids are in diapers anymore, a time when I dealt with Poop a lot more often... and perhaps I had forgotten. It reminded me of how much they have grown up, how much we have all been through, and that if a little poop every now and then is the worst I have to deal with, then I am truly Blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I remember these days!
    And I feel for ya, I really do!

    ReplyDelete