Monday, July 6, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

Okay, it is time. I have been holding this in all night and day, and I have to let it out! I will do this in two parts; Book Review and Movie Review.

"My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Piccolt
I loved this book. Yes, it was a tear jerker. The author does a really great job of tackling some hard subjects; Childhood Cancer, family problems, making choices as parents, and dealing with the concepts of children's rights. The characters are believeable and each has a voice throughout the book - you can actually see all points of view and decide for yourself what you want to make of it. The underlying story is one of love and how we make sacrifices for others, and when to know and accept that we have sacrificed all we can. I read this book earlier this year and it has become one of my favorites, I reccomend it to anyone who likes to read. Even though it is not the type of book I normally read, I was really suprised by it, and it has helped me try to broaden my horizons when it comes to what type of books I will read.

Now, the movie.....

Last night (Sunday) I went to see the movie with some friends. Of the 5 of us, 3 of us had read the book, and we had high expectations. We left the theater extremelly dissapointed, and yes, even pissed off!!!
I know that many movies have to leave things out, so I was expecting it to be not exactly as the book. There is only so much you can do in translation of book to film. (Example; Twilight ) BUT, this movie went beyond the acceptable "leaving things out" - to the point that I don't think ANYONE who has read the book will leave this movie feeling good about it. Here is my official list of complaints;
#1 - they left out a main character!!! The woman who was assigned by the courts as the Gaurdian AdLitem had a huge role in the book, and she is NOT EVEN IN THE MOVIE!
# 2 - There was an important side story with the Gaurdian AdLitem and the Lawyer, Campbell. Of course, without one character, you pretty much have to leave that out. But this also leaves the character of the Lawyer quite unfulfilled and lacking in substance through the movie. You don't get to know him at all.
#3 - there were also important things going on with the brother in the book; and they totally left that stuff out as well. I stated before I can understand when they leave things out, but these events were groundshaking and shaped the family dynamic in a strong way - how can you leave that out???
#4 - this is the BIG ONE. The Ending is wrong. I mean, they have the absoluter wrong ending, the book did not end anywhere close to the way they ended the movie, and the whole point of the book was lost by changing the ending. Not only was the ending of the movie predictable and anti-climactic, but that is NOT THE WAY IT ENDED!!

AAARRRGGHHHHHHH!!!! (screaming & pulling out my hair)

Okay. My opinion has been stated. If you plan on reading the book, Read it!! It is well worth it!! But save yourself the pain of dissapointment and DON'T see the movie if you read the book!! Just forget they ever made a movie and savor the book for what it is!!
If you don't plan on reading the book; go ahead and see the movie, but know that you are missing the main point. Or if you want to, see the movie first and then read the book; if you are prepared to let go of all preconceived notions created by the movie before you read the book. Whatever. Just don't come telling me you liked the movie, unless you think you can survive my sacrastic wrath......

1 comment:

  1. I read the book and loved it as well and I agree 100% with you about the movie. I believ even if they had to leave those certain parts out they should have atleast stuck to the same ending that the book had. I can't say that I hated the movie but it could have been much better! I was disappointed though.

    ReplyDelete